Makita (Australia) Pty Ltd (Makita, we or us) is committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information. We are bound by the Australian Privacy Principles under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) about how we handle your personal information.
Makita imports and sells Makita-branded electric power tools, petrol and electric engine products and associated products in Australia.
What information does Makita collect?
We collect personal information such as:
- your name;
- your gender;
- your date of birth;
- your contact details (eg address, email address, phone number);
- your occupation, job title, and role;
- your student identification;
- your financial information (credit card and bank account details);
- your username and password;
- purchasing habits and other information, including registration of products purchased; and
- details of professional or trade organisation memberships.
Usually we collect your personal information directly from you. Makita may collect your personal information from you in various ways, including via telephone, online or paper forms that you complete, and emails you send to us.
We may also collect information from third parties, such as retailers of our goods. When we collect your personal information from third parties, this is because it is not reasonable or practicable to collect your personal information directly from you. In those cases, we have taken reasonable steps to ensure that the third parties have obtained your consent to disclose your personal information to us.
Why does Makita collect and use your personal information?
Makita collects and uses your personal information for purposes related to our business activities. Makita collects your personal information when you interact with us including when you:
- request information about our products and services;
- purchase products directly from us (via Makita Online Ordering);
- participate in a promotion, competition, redemption or cash rebate; and
- subscribe to our email lists.
Makita uses your personal information to conduct our business including when we:
- facilitate your order;
- establish your online account;
- conduct promotion, competition, redemption and cash rebates;
- respond to your inquiries;
- conduct advertising and marketing; and
- improve and develop our products and services.
We may also use your personal information for any other purpose as authorised by you.
Who does Makita disclose personal information to?
Makita might disclose your personal information to:
- third party service providers engaged by Makita to assist us with conducting our business activities such as delivery and distribution services, IT services, management of our promotions, website hosting, marketing, market research including analytics services, and secure payment services;
- entities such as government bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies and other parties where authorised or required by law, and other parties to which we are legally required to disclose your personal information; and
- parties identified at the time of collecting your personal information or as otherwise authorised by you from time to time.
Transfer of data outside Australia
We may disclose your personal information outside Australia:
- to third parties to assist us to operate our services and our website;
- to our related companies within the global Makita Group; and
By using our website and providing us with your personal information, you consent to the disclosure by us, and to the storage and use of your personal information, outside Australia to countries where a different privacy protection regime applies
Data quality and security
Makita takes reasonable steps to ensure that any of your personal information which we hold is accurate, complete and up-to-date. These steps include promptly updating personal information when we are advised that personal information has changed, checking our contact lists for accuracy, and providing individuals with a simple means via contacting our Privacy Officer to update their personal information.
Makita takes reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference and loss and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Makita implements security measures including:
- physical security such as security procedures for access to our business premises and storing paper documents in locked cabinets; and
- IT security procedures including password protection, network firewalls, encryption, intrusion detection and site monitoring.
Access to and correction of your personal information
You have a right to access your personal information that we hold about you, and you can also request that we correct that personal information if it is inaccurate or out of date.
Makita will provide you with access to your personal information or will make the requested changes unless there is a reason under law to refuse access or refuse to make the requested changes. Where these reasons to refuse exist, we will advise you of those reasons within a reasonable time after you make your request.
If you request that your personal information is changed, and if Makita does not agree to change your personal information as recorded by us, we will record your request with your personal information.
If you would like to obtain access to or request changes to your personal information you can ask our Privacy Officer using the contact details below. We will respond to your request within a reasonable time after your request is received.
Makita can charge a reasonable fee for the time and cost of collating, preparing, and photocopying material for you if you request access to your personal information.
In particular, if you wish to make a complaint about how we have handled your personal information, you should forward a written complaint to our Privacy Officer. We will respond in writing within a reasonable time after receipt of your complaint.
If you are not satisfied with our decision or response, you can contact us to discuss your concerns. You also have the option of notifying the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner (OAIC). Contact details can be found at OAIC’s website: www.oaic.gov.au
How to contact us
- By email: [email protected]
- By telephone: 1300 361 690